wanted: perkin-elmer or interdata fortran reference
Peter Flass
2024-06-20 00:17:09 UTC
This is a wild stab, but I’m trying to figure out a p-e fortran program
with nonstandard features. Bitsavers doesn’t have much of anything on this.
Does anyone have a manual tucked away anywhere?
Pete
Louis Krupp
2024-06-20 23:28:24 UTC
Post by Peter Flass
This is a wild stab, but I’m trying to figure out a p-e fortran program
with nonstandard features. Bitsavers doesn’t have much of anything on this.
Does anyone have a manual tucked away anywhere?
Can you post the program (or an excerpt of the program or a link to the
program) here and to comp.lang.fortran?

Someone somewhere might be able to tell you something...

Louis
Peter Flass
2024-06-21 02:42:48 UTC
Post by Louis Krupp
Post by Peter Flass
This is a wild stab, but I’m trying to figure out a p-e fortran program
with nonstandard features. Bitsavers doesn’t have much of anything on this.
Does anyone have a manual tucked away anywhere?
Can you post the program (or an excerpt of the program or a link to the
program) here and to comp.lang.fortran?
Someone somewhere might be able to tell you something...
Louis
Most of it is pretty obvious. I’m just surprised because I thought “Fortran
is Fortran.” They allow comments on a line by coding a semicolon. There
are “Y”-type constants, which are apparently hex values, i.e.
“SPACE=Y’20202020’”. It looks like there are subroutines such as ISBYTE and
ILBYTE. Looking at this, I think I want to find another way to achieve what
I want besides trying to port this program.

That being said, there’s almost no info on Perkin-Elmer/Interdata.
Bitsavers has a couple of advertising brochures and that’s it., which
surprises me, since these systems weren’t THAT obscure.
Pete
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-06-21 03:45:48 UTC
Post by Peter Flass
That being said, there’s almost no info on Perkin-Elmer/Interdata.
Bitsavers has a couple of advertising brochures and that’s it., which
surprises me, since these systems weren’t THAT obscure.
Perkin-Elmer (or another branch of the same company) were the ones
responsible for the main-mirror stuffup on the Hubble Space Telescope.
Maybe no connection ...
John Levine
2024-06-21 17:32:51 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by Peter Flass
That being said, there’s almost no info on Perkin-Elmer/Interdata.
Bitsavers has a couple of advertising brochures and that’s it., which
surprises me, since these systems weren’t THAT obscure.
Perkin-Elmer (or another branch of the same company) were the ones
responsible for the main-mirror stuffup on the Hubble Space Telescope.
Maybe no connection ...
Perkin-Elmer is an ongoing tech conglomerate, buying and selling
business with no connection to each other other than they're all sort
of in the ballpark of engineering.

The optical division that made the mirror was in Danbury CT while the
computers were in Oceanport NJ. I would be surprised if they
ever talked to each other, since their businesses had nothing to
do with each other.
--
Regards,
John Levine, ***@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Iron Spring Software
2024-06-21 14:36:33 UTC
Post by Peter Flass
This is a wild stab, but I’m trying to figure out a p-e fortran program
with nonstandard features. Bitsavers doesn’t have much of anything on this.
Does anyone have a manual tucked away anywhere?
Actually, it turns out that there is some information available after
all. It's buried under Interdata so google didn't turn it up.