Convergent Technology Workstations and "Rats game"??
c***@gmail.com
2016-12-12 04:47:08 UTC
Let's see, a bit of thread necromancy here, 13 years later. We were developing translation tools in 1983 and for a while we had the CT terminals as part of our lineup. Rats was so addictive; I hacked into the image files and replaced the big rats with little ones, and the little rats with pixels. It made the game so much more challenging. I discovered that if you navigated yourself to a zone opposite a rat factory but with a wall between you, the rats would still sense you and shoot like crazy, invariably blowing up the factory in the process.
d***@gmail.com
2017-11-26 06:17:40 UTC
Waay back around 1982, I had the rare privilidge to buy one of the
pre-peroduction prototypes of the not too famous Convergent Technology
workstation. It was a OEM product, resold under various brands, maybe
Burroughs, NCR, and Univac? Not sure.
Anyway, at the time it was a STEAL, I got a 8086 CPU, a 14megabyte hard
disk, 256K bytes of RAM, a green-screen hi-res (for the time) monitor, and a
fancy keyboard. (No mouse), (no graphics, eacept downloadable character
font graphics). No case, just open chassis, open monitor, three uncased
power supplies, all screwed onto a sheet of plywood.
It was a STEAL for only $3000.
It had a very advanced operating system for the age. While PC's barely had
PCDOS, this OS had a non-modal screen editor, long file names, a form-based
command processor, a fuss-free local area network and file-sharing,
spreadsheet, good word processor, FORTRAN, BASIC and Pascal compilers
(shoddy Msoft ones). Text windows.,
an awesome assembler, system source code, custom build system options, and
more that I've forgotten.
In My Humble Opinion, a HECK of a lot better computer than the IBM PC.
But as we know the PC won out.
And oh yes, an addictive and fun "rats maze" game that I played for hours
and hours. Pretty good graphics considering it was all character-font
based.
Anybody remember that game? Anybody have the source code to it?
Drool.... drool...
( Eventually after a few years the custom hard disk controller died and I
tossed the whole shebang in the dumpster. Sad, but that seemed like the
only option at the time.)
Regards,
George
I remember the game fondly as well. I worked as a district admin in the Atlanta Regional office and spent many hours after work and during lunch hour playing the game. Would love to get a copy to play now.

If you do find a copy / version that would play I would be ecstatic...

Dave
Gene Wirchenko
2017-11-26 18:00:28 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
[...]
Rats was great. I remember staying late and nearly late for an
accounting class, but I finally won a game. Then, I got really good.

Novell's rats game (nlsnipes) was nowhere near as good, but I do
have it. I just tried to run it under DOSBox, but it wants share. I
have had it running before; I do not remember what I did.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
d***@gmail.com
2018-07-21 04:55:12 UTC
Just following up to a comment, a mere 15 years later — I thought that Rats was a simple, but wonderful, game, and I spent many hours at it. Even now, I'm sorry that it's not in the Play Store.
c***@gmail.com
2020-05-18 08:57:26 UTC
Ahhh Rats! One of the first video I played as kids ... on CTOS while dad compiling program during weekend.
I would love to find the source or binary in some sort.

Thx for pointing to dos/snipes, I would not have figured it out without this post.
c***@gmail.com
2020-05-18 15:25:48 UTC
[...]
Has anyone a good screenshot/picture? I would like to mimic the look&feel in snipes.
https://github.com/Davidebyzero/Snipes
https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49073
c***@gmail.com
2020-05-19 16:35:57 UTC
I do not know if this is one of you but found some rare screenshot here
https://flic.kr/p/5XkxY2
https://flic.kr/p/5XpR25
https://flic.kr/p/5XkvD6
https://flic.kr/p/5XpF1L
s***@gmail.com
I loved the Generic Print System! I developed and successfully sold a sysyem I called "Print Master" that used it. It's primary function was being able to print 132 column mainframe output landscape on A4 laser printer paper. What fun! Those were the days!
Peter Flass
Dan Espen
2020-05-25 19:11:28 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
I loved the Generic Print System! I developed and successfully sold a
sysyem I called "Print Master" that used it. It's primary function
was being able to print 132 column mainframe output landscape on A4
laser printer paper. What fun! Those were the days!
Where I worked we did 4 up on US Letter.
No special software was required although I did create an ISPF panel
to take the JCL coding out of the users hands.

The 4 up printing was surprisingly readable on the Xerox 9700 and
all of IBM's PSF printers (3811, 3820).
Dan Espen
Gerard Schildberger
2020-05-25 21:18:13 UTC
[CT rats game]
Anybody remember that game? Anybody have the source code to it?
Yes, no.
(Regarding the Rat's game ...)

Attributed to Lily Tomlin and/or Robert Reisner:

“The trouble with being in the rat race is that even if you win,
you're still a rat.”

________________________________________ Gerard Schildbergr
c***@gmail.com
2020-06-06 15:41:05 UTC
Post by Gerard Schildberger
[CT rats game]
Anybody remember that game? Anybody have the source code to it?
Yes, no.
(Regarding the Rat's game ...)
“The trouble with being in the rat race is that even if you win,
you're still a rat.”
________________________________________ Gerard Schildbergr
hi,

do you remember if what was the behavior difference between the rat and the small one (bug?)?

I try to write my own version of the game ...
c***@gmail.com
2020-06-06 15:41:57 UTC
Post by Gerard Schildberger
[CT rats game]
Anybody remember that game? Anybody have the source code to it?
Yes, no.
(Regarding the Rat's game ...)
“The trouble with being in the rat race is that even if you win,
you're still a rat.”
________________________________________ Gerard Schildbergr
hi,

do you remember what was the behavior difference between the rat and the small one (bug?)?

I try to write my own version of the game ...
c***@gmail.com
do you know what was the behavior difference between the rat and the small one (bug?)? I try to re-write my own version of the game ...
Peter Flass
2020-06-06 18:10:28 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by Gerard Schildberger
[CT rats game]
Anybody remember that game? Anybody have the source code to it?
Yes, no.
(Regarding the Rat's game ...)
“The trouble with being in the rat race is that even if you win,
you're still a rat.”
________________________________________ Gerard Schildbergr
Hi
do you know what was the behavior difference between the rat and the
small one (bug?)? I try to re-write my own version of the game ...
Cyril, probably asking once would be enough. ;-)
c***@gmail.com
2020-06-06 18:24:31 UTC
Post by Peter Flass
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by Gerard Schildberger
[CT rats game]
Anybody remember that game? Anybody have the source code to it?
Yes, no.
(Regarding the Rat's game ...)
“The trouble with being in the rat race is that even if you win,
you're still a rat.”
Hi
do you know what was the behavior difference between the rat and the
small one (bug?)? I try to re-write my own version of the game ...
Cyril, probably asking once would be enough. ;-)
Yep indeed ... still fighting with google groups :D

c***@gmail.com