Living Computer Museum death notice
David Lesher
2024-06-25 18:43:29 UTC
<https://www.geekwire.com/2024/seattles-living-computers-museum-logs-off-for-good-as-paul-allen-estate-will-auction-vintage-items/>
--
A host is a host from coast to ***@panix.com
2024-06-25 21:25:31 UTC
Post by David Lesher
<https://www.geekwire.com/2024/seattles-living-computers-museum-logs-off-for-good-as-paul-allen-estate-will-auction-vintage-items/>
Maybe one of our current dear internet billionaires will buy it and donate
it to a museum to avoid the collection from being broken up?
Rich Alderson
2024-06-26 00:04:11 UTC
Post by D
Post by David Lesher
<https://www.geekwire.com/2024/seattles-living-computers-museum-logs-off-for-good-as-paul-allen-estate-will-auction-vintage-items/>
Maybe one of our current dear internet billionaires will buy it and donate
it to a museum to avoid the collection from being broken up?
The Internet billionaires were never interested. Why do you think it took 4
years for this to come to pass?
--
Rich Alderson ***@alderson.users.panix.com
Audendum est, et veritas investiganda; quam etiamsi non assequamur,
--Galen
Sadly I only know internet millionaires, and they are not interested. =(
Scott Lurndal
Do you know what will happen to the hardware not in the auction?
Rich Alderson
2024-06-26 18:28:44 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Rich Alderson
Post by D
Post by David Lesher
<https://www.geekwire.com/2024/seattles-living-computers-museum-logs-off-for-good-as-paul-allen-estate-will-auction-vintage-items/>
Maybe one of our current dear internet billionaires will buy it and donate
it to a museum to avoid the collection from being broken up?
The Internet billionaires were never interested. Why do you think it took 4
years for this to come to pass?
Do you know what will happen to the hardware not in the auction?
I do not. Once we (the engineering staff) were laid off, the two people who
were left were forbidden to talk to us about the museum of the collection.

I just saw a note in alt.sys.pdp10 from a long time user of the free accounts
that some of the systems are going to a new museum, the Interim Computer Museum
operated by the SDF Public Access Unix Community.

I will note that SDF was founded years ago by the gent who became the manager of
engineering at LCM...
--Galen
David Lesher
2024-06-27 16:36:22 UTC
Post by Rich Alderson
I just saw a note in alt.sys.pdp10 from a long time user of the free accounts
that some of the systems are going to a new museum, the Interim Computer Museum
operated by the SDF Public Access Unix Community.
I will note that SDF was founded years ago by the gent who became the manager of
engineering at LCM...
SDF had a display at the Connections Museum down the road by Boeing Field,
but alas, it's no longer there...

<https://sdf.org/?tour/museum/index>
--
A host is a host from coast to ***@panix.com
Peter Flass
2024-06-26 19:21:49 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Rich Alderson
Post by D
Post by David Lesher
<https://www.geekwire.com/2024/seattles-living-computers-museum-logs-off-for-good-as-paul-allen-estate-will-auction-vintage-items/>
Maybe one of our current dear internet billionaires will buy it and donate
it to a museum to avoid the collection from being broken up?
The Internet billionaires were never interested. Why do you think it took 4
years for this to come to pass?
Do you know what will happen to the hardware not in the auction?
Didn’t they have quite a collection of software, too?
--
Pete