Are there any veterans of RapiData Timeshaing, Inc here?
Al Dykes
2009-12-20 18:07:10 UTC
I worked for RapiData Timesharing for about a year circa 1969 and it
recently occured to me to google up what I could find. Almost all
record of them seems to have not made it to Usenet adn Google.

It was when all they had was GE 400 series machines. I was there when
Honeywell people came in and removed the GE signage for their own.

Rapidata Timesharing ran a home-grown clone of GE Mark-something
software.
--
Al Dykes
2009-12-20 21:07:59 UTC
Post by Al Dykes
I worked for RapiData Timesharing for about a year circa 1969 and it
recently occured to me to google up what I could find. Almost all
record of them seems to have not made it to Usenet adn Google.
It was when all they had was GE 400 series machines. I was there when
Honeywell people came in and removed the GE signage for their own.
Rapidata Timesharing ran a home-grown clone of GE Mark-something
software.
The Computer Museum has some material on companies in various segments
of the industry, I'd suspect timesharing might be one, you might want to
see if they're interested in your recollections.

Another possibility is Wikipedia. I did a brief article on a
now-defunct software company. You might consider that.

Unfortunately, Usenet memory is very selective, and web even more so.
If it weren't for the efforts of individual "rememberers", we'd have
very little today.
b***@gmail.com
2015-11-28 03:06:04 UTC
I worked there for almost 2 years 1977 to 1979. It had an absolutely tremendously talented staff and I did go on to AT&T and other parts of AT&T for a very successful career before I became disabled . When I look back and I think of it, it would've been amazing if rapid data had turned its attention to PCs and networking . The individuals were so amazing , I mean most of them of course - it could've been like a great Internet successful Silicon Valley startup. Rapid data was well ahead of its time in many aspects , and sometimes being ahead of your time is not always a good thing.Dennis Harrison; ***@gmail.com.
g***@gmail.com
2019-02-19 20:34:17 UTC
Post by Al Dykes
I worked for RapiData Timesharing for about a year circa 1969 and it
recently occured to me to google up what I could find. Almost all
record of them seems to have not made it to Usenet adn Google.
It was when all they had was GE 400 series machines. I was there when
Honeywell people came in and removed the GE signage for their own.
Rapidata Timesharing ran a home-grown clone of GE Mark-something
software.
I worked for Rapidata from 1982 until NDC sold it to GM/EDS. I was in the Hardware Engineering group and we maintained the RCA/GE/Honeywell mainframes as well as the DECsystem 10's and DECsystem 20's. During that time from a company in Braintree, MA we bought systems including SA-10 units that allowed using IBM-compatible peripherals on the DECsystems. Some of us went for a look at EDS datacenter to see if we wanrted to work there but decided against.
--
Al Dykes
a***@gmail.com