DEC wash better than you ordinary detergent
Add Reply
Andreas Kohlbach
2021-01-13 15:57:02 UTC
Watch here
why Digital
Equipment's wash detergent is better than your ordinary detergent when it
comes to wash 8" diskettes.

Also note the wallpaper. *LOL*

I wonder what year this was recorded. Isn't mentioned in the comments.

I love fake ads.
Andreas
Marco Scholz
2021-01-13 17:09:12 UTC
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
Watch here http://youtu.be/GOphzme6EDw why Digital
[...]

Don't forget DEC-Paste:

Post by Andreas Kohlbach
I wonder what year this was recorded. Isn't mentioned in the comments.
"One of the four classic 1979 commercials featuring David Keller and
Dave Kasakitis of Digital Equipment Corporation's Useless Products
Group."
Andreas Kohlbach
2021-01-14 01:11:18 UTC
http://youtu.be/1RvE4eRglbM
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
I wonder what year this was recorded. Isn't mentioned in the comments.
"One of the four classic 1979 commercials featuring David Keller and
Dave Kasakitis of Digital Equipment Corporation's Useless Products
Group."
Thanks. Thought it was earlier in the 70s though.
--
Andreas

PGP fingerprint 952B0A9F12C2FD6C9F7E68DAA9C2EA89D1A370E0
Andy Burns
2021-01-14 08:13:18 UTC
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
http://youtu.be/GOphzme6EDw
I would too, but that was likely their intention.
Andreas Kohlbach
2021-01-14 20:35:38 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
http://youtu.be/GOphzme6EDw
"One of the four classic 1979 commercials [...]"
Thanks. Thought it was earlier in the 70s though.
I would too, but that was likely their intention.
They making a video in 1979, looking like it takes place 1975? Shouldn't
be too many differences in only a few years.

And that 70s wallpaper got to stay forever! :-)

Quadibloc
2021-01-14 09:49:49 UTC
Post by Marco Scholz
"One of the four classic 1979 commercials featuring David Keller and
Dave Kasakitis of Digital Equipment Corporation's Useless Products
Group."
And here are the other two:
Digibits

DEC Checks

John Savard
Thomas Koenig
2021-01-15 09:45:19 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Digibits
http://youtu.be/j-_eCMA0X3w
Did these commercials actually run? And who were they aimed at?
Quadibloc
2021-01-15 19:04:42 UTC
Did these commercials actually run? And who were they aimed at?
They weren't shown on television. Apparently they were used internally
at some sort of Digial event to amuse the attendees.

John Savard
Rich Alderson
2021-01-15 23:12:15 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Did these commercials actually run? And who were they aimed at?
They weren't shown on television. Apparently they were used internally
at some sort of Digial event to amuse the attendees.
John Savard
Presumably DECworld, an annual sales meeting.

Len Bosack and I attended DECworld 2001, a DEC reunion event which was held at
Moffett Field (the then recently decommissioned U-2 airfield in Mountain View,
California). We were treated to tours of the nascent Computer History Museum,
and went through the blimp hangars looking for the SAIL PDP-6, which never
turned up.
--
Rich Alderson ***@alderson.users.panix.com
Audendum est, et veritas investiganda; quam etiamsi non assequamur,
--Galen
Andreas Kohlbach
2021-01-16 03:10:27 UTC
Post by Rich Alderson
Post by Quadibloc
Did these commercials actually run? And who were they aimed at?
They weren't shown on television. Apparently they were used internally
at some sort of Digial event to amuse the attendees.
Presumably DECworld, an annual sales meeting.
They showed a video criticizing their own brand?

Not directly related. But the Coca Cola Company was "hacking" Space
Invaders for the Atari 2600. Just changing sprites (okay, the A2600
didn't really used sprites) of five of the six columns of the aliens to
P E P S I and left the sixth line intact. So the player shot at PEPSI. :-)
The game was known as "Pepsi Invaders" and "Coke Wins". According to
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepsi_Invaders> it's one of the rarest
games for the A2600 and scored up to $1,825 on eBay.

Playing it now (no, I didn't bid on eBay ;-) they changed also the UFO on
top into a crude Pepsi logo. You also have unlimited lives but play
against a counter.

Thomas Koenig
2021-01-16 10:05:38 UTC
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
Post by Rich Alderson
Post by Quadibloc
Did these commercials actually run? And who were they aimed at?
They weren't shown on television. Apparently they were used internally
at some sort of Digial event to amuse the attendees.
Presumably DECworld, an annual sales meeting.
They showed a video criticizing their own brand?
These "commercials" certainly weren't critical of DEC. They spoofed
well-known ads of the time.