OT : Pencil Tutorial ! :-)
gareth evans
2020-09-13 10:09:16 UTC
H Hard

B Black

4H = A chisel for doing metalwork.

4B = A tar brush for painting the fence

HB = A schizoid compromise :-)
Jason Evans
2020-09-18 10:14:49 UTC
Post by gareth evans
4H = A chisel for doing metalwork.
I remember using a 4H pencil in drafting class in High School. I'm not so
old that CAD wasn't around. My school district just didn't have the money
for it.

Now that I think about it, I would love to have a drafting table, a
T-square, and a set of triangles again.
JE
J. Clarke
2020-09-18 10:29:14 UTC
On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 10:14:49 -0000 (UTC), Jason Evans
Post by Jason Evans
Post by gareth evans
4H = A chisel for doing metalwork.
I remember using a 4H pencil in drafting class in High School. I'm not so
old that CAD wasn't around. My school district just didn't have the money
for it.
Now that I think about it, I would love to have a drafting table, a
T-square, and a set of triangles again.
If you have the room, go for it. Everything you need can be had from
Dick Blick for under 150 bucks.

I remember a test for a coating on propeller blades involved verifying
that a pencil wouldn't scratch it. I don't remember though whether it
what H number the spec called for. I suspect the coating is still in
use--it was really good stuff--but I wonder if they've updated the
spec to account for Mexican-made pencils not adhering to the same
standard?
maus
2020-09-18 16:53:03 UTC
Post by Jason Evans
Post by gareth evans
4H = A chisel for doing metalwork.
I remember using a 4H pencil in drafting class in High School. I'm not so
old that CAD wasn't around. My school district just didn't have the money
for it.
Now that I think about it, I would love to have a drafting table, a
T-square, and a set of triangles again.
If you have the room, go for it. Everything you need can be had from
Dick Blick for under 150 bucks.
Don't. I am at an age when I have buried many friends and executed
their estates. one of them I used to call on every week, and when it
was coming to the end, 'friends' used call and remove stuff like that.
He had a small anvil I used to love, but it was taken like that.
Stuff like that was easly sold at Sunday Markets. I burned boxes of
photographs that nobody rmembers, After my wife died, I stopped taking
photos.
standard?
Dave Garland
standard?
JimP
2020-09-18 20:50:39 UTC
On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 15:26:14 -0500, Dave Garland
Post by Dave Garland
Seeing maus posts that are just quoted material, no maus content.
He is posting, but his newsreader is putting the '>' in front of his
text.
Jim
Jorgen Grahn
2020-09-19 11:47:46 UTC
On Fri, 2020-09-18, maus wrote:
(Quoting fixed)
I burned boxes of photographs that nobody rmembers, After my wife
died, I stopped taking photos.
For what it's worth, I've enjoyed my grandparents' old photos a lot.
My cousins enjoy them too, because I scanned them and handed out CDs.

I can't imagine who would want /my/ photos, but you never know. The
abovementioned albums laid unused for forty years.

/Jorgen
--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
Carlos E.R.
2020-09-19 17:03:53 UTC
Post by Jorgen Grahn
(Quoting fixed)
I burned boxes of photographs that nobody rmembers, After my wife
died, I stopped taking photos.
For what it's worth, I've enjoyed my grandparents' old photos a lot.
My cousins enjoy them too, because I scanned them and handed out CDs.
I can't imagine who would want /my/ photos, but you never know. The
abovementioned albums laid unused for forty years.
I found photos of my father and his parents at a public historic site,
and correctly labelled, and other old relatives that I can not ask
anybody alive about. The site probably has photos from some city photo
shop collected. I was glad to find that photo.
Cheers, Carlos.
JimP
2020-09-19 18:10:17 UTC
On Sat, 19 Sep 2020 19:03:53 +0200, "Carlos E.R."
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by Jorgen Grahn
(Quoting fixed)
I burned boxes of photographs that nobody rmembers, After my wife
died, I stopped taking photos.
For what it's worth, I've enjoyed my grandparents' old photos a lot.
My cousins enjoy them too, because I scanned them and handed out CDs.
I can't imagine who would want /my/ photos, but you never know. The
abovementioned albums laid unused for forty years.
I found photos of my father and his parents at a public historic site,
and correctly labelled, and other old relatives that I can not ask
anybody alive about. The site probably has photos from some city photo
shop collected. I was glad to find that photo.
We found a photo in an old box from 1920 or so. We recognized three
people. My grandparents and the baby. My uncle. Nothing on the back
except 'our family'. I remember one woman from another later photo,
but not labelled either.
Jim
Jorgen Grahn
2020-09-19 19:01:57 UTC
Post by JimP
On Sat, 19 Sep 2020 19:03:53 +0200, "Carlos E.R."
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by Jorgen Grahn
(Quoting fixed)
I burned boxes of photographs that nobody rmembers, After my wife
died, I stopped taking photos.
For what it's worth, I've enjoyed my grandparents' old photos a lot.
My cousins enjoy them too, because I scanned them and handed out CDs.
I can't imagine who would want /my/ photos, but you never know. The
abovementioned albums laid unused for forty years.
I found photos of my father and his parents at a public historic site,
and correctly labelled, and other old relatives that I can not ask
anybody alive about. The site probably has photos from some city photo
shop collected. I was glad to find that photo.
We found a photo in an old box from 1920 or so. We recognized three
people. My grandparents and the baby. My uncle. Nothing on the back
except 'our family'. I remember one woman from another later photo,
but not labelled either.
Unlabeled photos can be so frustrating. I found one with a
middle-aged woman in the kind of clothes poor women wore in the
1920--1930s. She looked just like me, except for the clothes --
as if it was a photo of me, in drag.

I mailed a distant, older relative: he thought it could be my
granddad's older sister Frida ... but noone will ever know.

/Jorgen
--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
Andreas Kohlbach
2020-09-20 11:26:37 UTC
Post by Jorgen Grahn
Unlabeled photos can be so frustrating. I found one with a
middle-aged woman in the kind of clothes poor women wore in the
1920--1930s. She looked just like me, except for the clothes --
as if it was a photo of me, in drag.
I mailed a distant, older relative: he thought it could be my
granddad's older sister Frida ... but noone will ever know.
Tried to have Google Images to have a "look at"? It might find similar
images which have some information attached.
Andreas
Jorgen Grahn
2020-09-20 18:02:54 UTC
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
Post by Jorgen Grahn
Unlabeled photos can be so frustrating. I found one with a
middle-aged woman in the kind of clothes poor women wore in the
1920--1930s. She looked just like me, except for the clothes --
as if it was a photo of me, in drag.
I mailed a distant, older relative: he thought it could be my
granddad's older sister Frida ... but noone will ever know.
Tried to have Google Images to have a "look at"? It might find similar
images which have some information attached.
No; I don't want to feed them any personal data. But thanks for the tip!

/Jorgen
--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
Carlos E.R.
2020-09-20 18:20:21 UTC
Post by Jorgen Grahn
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
Post by Jorgen Grahn
Unlabeled photos can be so frustrating. I found one with a
middle-aged woman in the kind of clothes poor women wore in the
1920--1930s. She looked just like me, except for the clothes --
as if it was a photo of me, in drag.
I mailed a distant, older relative: he thought it could be my
granddad's older sister Frida ... but noone will ever know.
Tried to have Google Images to have a "look at"? It might find similar
images which have some information attached.
No; I don't want to feed them any personal data. But thanks for the tip!
Or https://yandex.com/

I have used it to feed photos from people taken from my TV set to find
out who they are. Works well.
Cheers, Carlos.
Peter Flass
2020-09-19 19:34:23 UTC
Post by JimP
On Sat, 19 Sep 2020 19:03:53 +0200, "Carlos E.R."
Post by Carlos E.R.
Post by Jorgen Grahn
(Quoting fixed)
I burned boxes of photographs that nobody rmembers, After my wife
died, I stopped taking photos.
For what it's worth, I've enjoyed my grandparents' old photos a lot.
My cousins enjoy them too, because I scanned them and handed out CDs.
I can't imagine who would want /my/ photos, but you never know. The
abovementioned albums laid unused for forty years.
I found photos of my father and his parents at a public historic site,
and correctly labelled, and other old relatives that I can not ask
anybody alive about. The site probably has photos from some city photo
shop collected. I was glad to find that photo.
We found a photo in an old box from 1920 or so. We recognized three
people. My grandparents and the baby. My uncle. Nothing on the back
except 'our family'. I remember one woman from another later photo,
but not labelled either.
I guess these are lessons for us - label our photos.
Joy Beeson
2020-09-19 03:59:59 UTC
Post by Jason Evans
Now that I think about it, I would love to have a drafting table, a
T-square, and a set of triangles again.
I still have mine at the back of the hall closet. I keep the largest
45-degree triangle in the laundry room in my bag of yardsticks and
rulers.

I should sort through the pocket of the drafting-board case and see
what other useful goodies I have.

For drawing curves, I nearly always use stuff I find in the kitchen:
plates, jar lids, pill bottles . . .

But I have been known to dig out the french curve.

(I never drafted; the drafting board was for cut-and-paste editing.)
--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
J. Clarke
2020-09-19 04:27:38 UTC
Post by Jason Evans
Now that I think about it, I would love to have a drafting table, a
T-square, and a set of triangles again.
I still have mine at the back of the hall closet. I keep the largest
45-degree triangle in the laundry room in my bag of yardsticks and
rulers.
I should sort through the pocket of the drafting-board case and see
what other useful goodies I have.
plates, jar lids, pill bottles . . .
But I have been known to dig out the french curve.
(I never drafted; the drafting board was for cut-and-paste editing.)
FWIW, the hard thing to find these days is a decent compass set. Best
bet is to find a pre-CAD-era Dietzgen or K&E set off of ebay. The
ones being made now will draw a circle but the workmanship on them is
kind of pitiful.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2020-09-19 06:36:08 UTC
Post by Jason Evans
Now that I think about it, I would love to have a drafting table, a
T-square, and a set of triangles again.
I still have mine at the back of the hall closet. I keep the largest
45-degree triangle in the laundry room in my bag of yardsticks and
rulers.
I should sort through the pocket of the drafting-board case and see
what other useful goodies I have.
plates, jar lids, pill bottles . . .
But I have been known to dig out the french curve.
(I never drafted; the drafting board was for cut-and-paste editing.)
Drafting class is what made me stop considering Engineering and switch
to Computer Science: They both had programming and I liked that, but I
couldn't draw a bolt in perspective to save me.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..
Jason Evans
2020-09-20 10:05:31 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Drafting class is what made me stop considering Engineering and switch
to Computer Science: They both had programming and I liked that, but I
couldn't draw a bolt in perspective to save me.
I really loved drafting and I seriously considered it as a future
profession and maybe if I had CAD I would have done it. On paper though,
I couldn't draw a curve to save my life and too many of my blueprints
looked like something from MC Escher. I could never do better than a C in
those classes no matter how hard I tried.
JE
Gerard Schildberger
2020-09-19 18:04:20 UTC
Post by gareth evans
H Hard
B Black
4H = A chisel for doing metalwork.
4B = A tar brush for painting the fence
HB = A schizoid compromise :-)
I have a 9H. Truly, worthy of any cold-steel chisel.