OFF TOPIC: 1958 Americans on the move!
h***@bbs.cpcn.com
2020-09-18 19:01:46 UTC
LIFE did a detailed illustrated feature article on
how Americans were moving around the country.
https://books.google.com/books?id=xFUEAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA86&dq=life%20%22national%20cash%20register%22&pg=PA85#v=onepage&q&f=false

(includes an image of a punch card).

I think IBM was nick named "I've been moved" for the way
they moved people around. Likewise Proctor & Gamble
was "Pack and Go".

I think a lot of large corporations and govt agencies
moved people around often in those days. My friend
who worked for US Steel was moved around a lot. He
was grateful he wasn't sent to an ore mine in
South America as some guys were.

I knew a young person who moved to our area due to
her father's job transfer. She was 17 and didn't
have it easy making new friends. Apparently
older kids don't have easy making friends--coming
into a new high school as a senior is a challenge.
JimP
2020-09-18 20:48:43 UTC
Post by h***@bbs.cpcn.com
[...]
My dad was in the Army. I went to 3 different junior high schools, and
3 different high schools. I thought that was alot, until I met someone
whose family moved every two months as her dad opened a new office for
his employer. Then moved again. Her last year, they stayed in one
town. She told me the principal just signed off on a bunch of 'this
class you took is equivalent to our class in' and she graduated her
regular year, didn't get held back. She went to over 50 high schools.
--
Jim