Doug Englebart
Al Kossow
2013-07-03 17:30:21 UTC
From: Christina Engelbart <***@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, July 3, 2013 6:31 AM
Subject: update on my father

Very sorry to inform my father passed away in his sleep peacefully at home last night. His health had been deteriorating of late, and took turn for worse on the weekend. I will circle back around
soon, for now just wanted to give you all advance notice and look forward to discussing your thoughts as I am a bit fuzzy at present.
Frank Pajerski
2013-07-03 20:11:49 UTC
NYT obit .....
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/04/technology/douglas-c-engelbart-inventor-of-the-computer-mouse-dies-at-88.html

Patrick Scheible
2013-07-04 08:02:43 UTC
Date: Wednesday, July 3, 2013 6:31 AM
Very sorry to inform my father passed away in his sleep peacefully at
home last night. His health had been deteriorating of late, and took
turn for worse on the weekend. I will circle back around
soon, for now just wanted to give you all advance notice and look
forward to discussing your thoughts as I am a bit fuzzy at present.
Damn.

He's known for the mouse, but that's least significant of his visions.

RIP

-- Patrick
Anne & Lynn Wheeler
2013-07-04 12:51:27 UTC
Post by Patrick Scheible
Damn.
He's known for the mouse, but that's least significant of his visions.
doug was at tymshare when m/d bought them ... and tymshare was running
his augment system on pdp10. i was brought in to audit/review gnosis for
spinoff to keykos. i was also asked if i could find anybody interested
at ibm to hire doug. i sent up some interviews ... but it was real
mismatch.
Joe Morris
2013-07-04 15:12:26 UTC
Post by Anne & Lynn Wheeler
Post by Patrick Scheible
Damn.
He's known for the mouse, but that's least significant of his visions.
doug was at tymshare when m/d bought them ... and tymshare was running
his augment system on pdp10. i was brought in to audit/review gnosis for
spinoff to keykos. i was also asked if i could find anybody interested
at ibm to hire doug. i sent up some interviews ... but it was real
mismatch.
Today's (4 July) _Washington Post_ gave him a half-page obituary...available
online:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/douglas-engelbart-computer-visionary-and-inventor-of-the-mouse-dies-at-88/2013/07/03/1439b508-0264-11e2-9b24-ff730c7f6312_story.html?hpid=z14

Joe
Bill Leary
2013-07-04 17:25:24 UTC
((..omitted..))
Today's (4 July) _Washington Post_ gave him a half-page
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/douglas-engelbart-computer-visionary-and-inventor-of-the-mouse-dies-at-88/2013/07/03/1439b508-0264-11e2-9b24-ff730c7f6312_story.html?hpid=z14
All: It's a half page in print, but it's three pages on line. Remember to
follow the "Next" to the other two pages. Very interesting.

- Bill
Michael Black
2013-07-04 18:58:46 UTC
Date: Wednesday, July 3, 2013 6:31 AM
Very sorry to inform my father passed away in his sleep peacefully at
home last night. His health had been deteriorating of late, and took
turn for worse on the weekend. I will circle back around
soon, for now just wanted to give you all advance notice and look
forward to discussing your thoughts as I am a bit fuzzy at present.
Damn.
He's known for the mouse, but that's least significant of his visions.
RIP
It's the same thing with XEROX PARC, the place where Steve Jobs found the
mouse (and sometimes windows is mentioned), when in both cases the mouse
is less significant than the shift to what you could do with the mouse,
away from the keyboard.

A mouse really is pretty good for graphic stuff, certainly beats a
keyboard for that, nnd the house helped to make the rest possible.

DIdn't Doug Englebart experiment with trackballs too? EIther rejecting
them or seeing them as an alternative to the mouse? I finally got one of
those last year for 75cents at a garage sale, I haven't used it that much
for the simple reason that it has no scroll wheel, and in waiting to get a
cheap trackball, I've gotten used to having the scroll wheel. One of
these days I may take a cheap scroll mouse and add the scroll wheel to the
trackball.

Michael
Anne & Lynn Wheeler
2013-07-04 22:27:59 UTC
Post by Michael Black
DIdn't Doug Englebart experiment with trackballs too? EIther
rejecting them or seeing them as an alternative to the mouse? I
finally got one of those last year for 75cents at a garage sale, I
haven't used it that much for the simple reason that it has no scroll
wheel, and in waiting to get a cheap trackball, I've gotten used to
having the scroll wheel. One of these days I may take a cheap scroll
mouse and add the scroll wheel to the trackball.
re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013i.html#57 Doug Engelbart

NLS (augment)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLS_%28computer_system%29

with cord keyboard.

about that time, the human factors group had a cord keyboard for 3277
somewhat the shape of large mouse with depressions for each finger and
rocker switch at the finger tips. claims of 2-3 times typing speed of
standard 3277 qwerty keyboard (with one hand) ... would allow one handed
keyboard with other hand on (real) mouse

other reference "five-key keyset" on left and 3-button moust on right
http://www.dougengelbart.org/firsts/mouse.html

past posts mentioning engelbart, augment, and/or cord keyboard
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000g.html#22 No more innovation? Get serious
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000g.html#26 Who Owns the HyperLink?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000g.html#31 stupid user stories
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002g.html#4 markup vs wysiwyg (was: Re: learning how to use a computer)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002o.html#48 XML, AI, Cyc, psych, and literature
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004q.html#55 creat
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005.html#47 creat
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005s.html#12 Flat Query
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006n.html#50 stacks: sorting
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006n.html#51 stacks: sorting
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006p.html#54 Douglas Engelbart's HyperScope 1.0 Launched
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006v.html#22 vmshare
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007k.html#29 Even worse than UNIX
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008b.html#53 folklore indeed
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008g.html#23 Doug Engelbart's "Mother of All Demos"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008r.html#57 PC premiered 40 years ago to awed crowd
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008r.html#62 PC premiered 40 years ago to awed crowd
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008s.html#3 New machine code
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009.html#61 Does IBM host guest speakers?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009f.html#28 Opinion: The top 10 operating system stinkers
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009j.html#8 Fathers of Technology: 10 Unsung Heroes
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#84 Adventure - Or Colossal Cave Adventure
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010g.html#9 Far and near pointers on the 80286 and later
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010g.html#53 Far and near pointers on the 80286 and later
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010q.html#63 VMSHARE Archives
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011.html#11 Typewriter vs. Computer
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011b.html#31 Colossal Cave Adventure in PL/I
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011c.html#2 Other early NSFNET backbone
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012i.html#39 Just a quick link to a video by the National Research Council of Canada made in 1971 on computer technology for filmmaking
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012i.html#40 GNOSIS & KeyKOS
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013c.html#80 Still not convinced about the superiority of mainframe security vs distributed?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013d.html#55 Arthur C. Clarke Predicts the Internet, 1974
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2013d.html#60 Arthur C. Clarke Predicts the Internet, 1974
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
2013-07-05 10:36:52 UTC
In <***@darkstar.example.org>, on
07/04/2013
Post by Michael Black
A mouse really is pretty good for graphic stuff, certainly beats a
keyboard for that,
The competition to the mouse was not the keyboard, it was other
pointing devices. I'll stick to my trackball, TYVM.

"Real programmers don't eat mice."

reply to ***@library.lspace.org
Charles Richmond
2013-07-05 19:19:13 UTC
Post by Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
07/04/2013
Post by Michael Black
A mouse really is pretty good for graphic stuff, certainly beats a
keyboard for that,
The competition to the mouse was not the keyboard, it was other
pointing devices. I'll stick to my trackball, TYVM.
"Real programmers don't eat mice."
The plural of "mouse" for a computer mouse can also be "mouses".

From the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

4 plural also mous·es : a small mobile manual device that controls movement
of the cursor and selection of functions on a computer display

numerist at aquaporin4 dot com
h***@bbs.cpcn.com
2013-07-09 17:31:10 UTC
The competition to the mouse was not the keyboard, it was other pointing devices.
In 1971 we were programming applications that used a light pen on a Philco computer. IIRC, the light pen was just used to select a menu item--something that could be just as easily done by tabbing the cursor to the desired box.

Funky things would happen if we took a light pen and touch it to the screen of an adjacent terminal. (The terminals were converted television sets, and could still work as a TV set. We didn't have screen savers back then and the sign-on text letters were burned into the screen.)
Uncle Steve
2013-07-04 23:25:47 UTC
Post by Frank Pajerski
NYT obit .....
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/04/technology/douglas-c-engelbart-inventor-of-the-computer-mouse-dies-at-88.html
Honorable mention tonight on the CBC "As it happens" program. They
played an excerpt from his 1968 "mother of all demos" conference
address where he described the "mouse".

Like the guy who invented the cell-phone, he didn't make any money
from the invention of the mouse, but is credited as a visionary
pioneer. Such is progress.

Regards,

Uncle Steve
--
"Suddenly he put his hand on her cheek. The cock's spur rested
lightly on her lower lip. ``You and I,'' the Butcher said. He moved
which is which?''" Samuel R. Delaney, "Babel 17"
Patrick Scheible
2013-07-08 05:53:27 UTC
Post by Uncle Steve
Post by Frank Pajerski
NYT obit .....
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/04/technology/douglas-c-engelbart-inventor-of-the-computer-mouse-dies-at-88.html
Honorable mention tonight on the CBC "As it happens" program. They
played an excerpt from his 1968 "mother of all demos" conference
address where he described the "mouse".
Like the guy who invented the cell-phone, he didn't make any money
from the invention of the mouse, but is credited as a visionary
pioneer. Such is progress.
He also got an xkcd cartoon for him. Few people share that honor.

-- Patrick
h***@bbs.cpcn.com
2013-07-09 17:37:57 UTC
Like the guy who invented the cell-phone, he didn't make any money from the invention of the mouse, but is credited as a visionary pioneer.
Who was the guy who invented the cell phone? I thought the whole concept was a collaborative effort from Bell Labs over an extensive period of time. (see BSTJ index below:)
http://www3.alcatel-lucent.com/bstj/vol58-1979/bstj-vol58-issue01.html
While the above is from 1979, the concept of cellular handoff was developed earlier; for instance, the 1969 Metroliner phone service was a prototype of seamless automated handoff from one base station to another.
Rich Alderson
2013-07-09 18:56:18 UTC
Post by h***@bbs.cpcn.com
Like the guy who invented the cell-phone, he didn't make any money from the
invention of the mouse, but is credited as a visionary pioneer.
Who was the guy who invented the cell phone? I thought the whole concept was
a collaborative effort from Bell Labs over an extensive period of time. (see
BSTJ index below:)
http://www3.alcatel-lucent.com/bstj/vol58-1979/bstj-vol58-issue01.html
While the above is from 1979, the concept of cellular handoff was developed
earlier; for instance, the 1969 Metroliner phone service was a prototype of
seamless automated handoff from one base station to another.
Doug Ring and Rae Young, _Mobile Telephony: Wide-Area Coverage_, Bell Labs,
1947. (cited from Gertner, _The Idea Factory_, Penguin Books, 2012)
--
Rich Alderson ***@alderson.users.panix.com
the russet leaves of an autumn oak/inspire once again the failed poet/
to take up his pen/and essay to place his meagre words upon the page...
Uncle Steve
2013-07-10 01:07:52 UTC
Post by h***@bbs.cpcn.com
Like the guy who invented the cell-phone, he didn't make any money from the invention of the mouse, but is credited as a visionary pioneer.
Who was the guy who invented the cell phone? I thought the whole concept was a collaborative effort from Bell Labs over an extensive period of time. (see BSTJ index below:)
http://www3.alcatel-lucent.com/bstj/vol58-1979/bstj-vol58-issue01.html
While the above is from 1979, the concept of cellular handoff was developed earlier; for instance, the 1969 Metroliner phone service was a prototype of seamless automated handoff from one base station to another.
I recollecting an interview I heard on radio, and it may be that I'll
have to dig a little to find out which one.

Regards,

Uncle Steve
brad
2013-07-10 04:01:23 UTC
Post by h***@bbs.cpcn.com
Like the guy who invented the cell-phone, he didn't make any money from
the invention of the mouse, but is credited as a visionary pioneer.
Who was the guy who invented the cell phone? I thought the whole concept
was a collaborative effort from Bell Labs over an extensive period of
time. (see BSTJ index below:)
http://www3.alcatel-lucent.com/bstj/vol58-1979/bstj-vol58-issue01.html
While the above is from 1979, the concept of cellular handoff was
developed earlier; for instance, the 1969 Metroliner >phone service was a
prototype of seamless automated handoff from one base station to another.
There is a documentary on cable TV that, if you aren't listening too
closely, sounds like Motorola was big in this This is a direct paste from a
Motorola site on the web;

"We introduced the world's first commercial portable cellular phone"

I think of Motorola back in the days when they would fill half the trunk of
your car with gear and provide telephone-like service. I suspect that, like
most inventions, you really have to dig to get at the truth. The "pure"
cases are rare; the airplane and xerography are pretty darn pure and come to
mind as exceptions to the general rule.
Rob Doyle
2013-07-10 06:25:13 UTC
Post by brad
Post by h***@bbs.cpcn.com
Post by Uncle Steve
[...]
Motorola was certainly an early adopter. Harris and GE were also players.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Mobile_Phone_System

Rob.

Walter Banks
2013-07-03 22:29:03 UTC
Date: Wednesday, July 3, 2013 6:31 AM
Very sorry to inform my father passed away in his sleep
peacefully at home last night. His health had been deteriorating
of late, and took turn for worse on the weekend. I will
circle back around soon, for now just wanted to give you all
advance notice and look forward to discussing your thoughts
as I am a bit fuzzy at present.
Although he developed the mouse, it was more than that he
started a whole paradigm shift to pointing devices as a way
to communicate with computers. We owe him a lot. I met
him a few times 30+ years ago.

Last night we lost a computer pioneer.

Our condolences to his family, he will be fondly remembered.

Walter Banks
Walter Banks