Name of parallel Z80 computer?
s***@gmail.com
2020-04-18 10:24:09 UTC
Long time ago, ( 1980's? ) there was
a parallel processing multi Z80 CPU
computer. I forgot the number of cpu's it had. Maybe 16k, 32k??
Does anyone remember the name of this
computer and the company that sold it?

-- curious
-- William Gallant
Joe Pfeiffer
2020-04-19 16:13:19 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Long time ago, ( 1980's? ) there was
a parallel processing multi Z80 CPU
computer. I forgot the number of cpu's it had. Maybe 16k, 32k??
Does anyone remember the name of this
computer and the company that sold it?
-- curious
-- William Gallant
There was a research machine called ZMOB -- 256 Z80s in a ring.

https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-96868-6_263
ERSHC
2020-04-19 17:19:20 UTC
Post by Joe Pfeiffer
Post by s***@gmail.com
Long time ago, ( 1980's? ) there was
a parallel processing multi Z80 CPU
computer. I forgot the number of cpu's it had. Maybe 16k, 32k??
Does anyone remember the name of this
computer and the company that sold it?
-- curious
-- William Gallant
There was a research machine called ZMOB -- 256 Z80s in a ring.
https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-96868-6_263
If not for the "Z80"s I'd think Thinking Machine Corps's Connection
Machines. The CM-1 could handle up to 64k processors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connection_Machine
Joe Pfeiffer
2020-04-20 00:59:27 UTC
Post by ERSHC
Post by Joe Pfeiffer
Post by s***@gmail.com
Long time ago, ( 1980's? ) there was
a parallel processing multi Z80 CPU
computer. I forgot the number of cpu's it had. Maybe 16k, 32k??
Does anyone remember the name of this
computer and the company that sold it?
-- curious
-- William Gallant
There was a research machine called ZMOB -- 256 Z80s in a ring.
https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-96868-6_263
If not for the "Z80"s I'd think Thinking Machine Corps's Connection
Machines. The CM-1 could handle up to 64k processors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connection_Machine
True, anything with the number of processors he's talking about back
then would have been one of the bit-serial SIMD machines. CM-1, MPP...
s***@gmail.com
2020-04-20 12:00:56 UTC
Yeah! The Connection Machine by Thinking Machine Corp.
That was it. Thank. I wanted to
look up documentation on it.

-- thanx again
-- William Gallant