C P Clare Relays?
Add Reply
h***@bbs.cpcn.com
2020-08-24 20:48:34 UTC
There used to be a company that made relays, C P Clare,
out of Chicago. They advertised in various magazines
on bitsavers.

Anyway, they seem to have gone out of business in
the 1960s, possibly acquired by another company.

I heard they made a quality product. Would anyone
know accurately what happened to them, and why
they went out of business?

Here are some of their ads from the past.

https://books.google.com/books?id=L4_mAAAAMAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&dq=relay%20heel%20piece&pg=PA313#v=onepage&q&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=L4_mAAAAMAAJ&dq=railway%20%22induction%20communication%22&pg=PA707#v=onepage&q&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=L4_mAAAAMAAJ&dq=railway%20%22induction%20communication%22&pg=PA782#v=onepage&q&f=false
J. Clarke
2020-08-24 22:36:26 UTC
Post by h***@bbs.cpcn.com
There used to be a company that made relays, C P Clare,
out of Chicago. They advertised in various magazines
on bitsavers.
Anyway, they seem to have gone out of business in
the 1960s, possibly acquired by another company.
I heard they made a quality product. Would anyone
know accurately what happened to them, and why
they went out of business?
Here are some of their ads from the past.
https://books.google.com/books?id=L4_mAAAAMAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&dq=relay%20heel%20piece&pg=PA313#v=onepage&q&f=false
https://books.google.com/books?id=L4_mAAAAMAAJ&dq=railway%20%22induction%20communication%22&pg=PA707#v=onepage&q&f=false
https://books.google.com/books?id=L4_mAAAAMAAJ&dq=railway%20%22induction%20communication%22&pg=PA782#v=onepage&q&f=false
At some point the name changed to Clare, Inc. and they were bought by
IXYS Corporation in 2002.
Peter Flass
2020-08-25 01:37:31 UTC
Post by J. Clarke
Post by h***@bbs.cpcn.com
[...]
Wonderful unpronounceable name! Also content-free.
2020-08-25 03:46:31 UTC
Post by Peter Flass
Post by J. Clarke
At some point the name changed to Clare, Inc. and they were bought by
IXYS Corporation in 2002.
Wonderful unpronounceable name! Also content-free.
That's a vital element of corporate naming.
Something that means nothing can mean anything.
--
/~\ Charlie Gibbs | Microsoft is a dictatorship.
\ / <***@kltpzyxm.invalid> | Apple is a cult.
/ \ if you read it the right way. | Pick your poison.
Chris
2020-08-25 13:41:26 UTC
Post by h***@bbs.cpcn.com
There used to be a company that made relays, C P Clare,
out of Chicago. They advertised in various magazines
on bitsavers.
Anyway, they seem to have gone out of business in
the 1960s, possibly acquired by another company.
I heard they made a quality product. Would anyone
know accurately what happened to them, and why
they went out of business?
Here are some of their ads from the past.
https://books.google.com/books?id=L4_mAAAAMAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&dq=relay%20heel%20piece&pg=PA313#v=onepage&q&f=false
https://books.google.com/books?id=L4_mAAAAMAAJ&dq=railway%20%22induction%20communication%22&pg=PA707#v=onepage&q&f=false
https://books.google.com/books?id=L4_mAAAAMAAJ&dq=railway%20%22induction%20communication%22&pg=PA782#v=onepage&q&f=false
Good quality product, at least the examples I have seen. One of their
strong suits were mercury wetted contact relays, used a lot in telco
and test kit and by me once or twice for fast rise pulse
generators...

Chris