Wanted: Apple Pascal "Wirth" flowchart poster
t***@gmail.com
2013-10-08 05:00:36 UTC
Did you ever find the poster you were looking for? I was looking to see how much I should list the one I have, and I found your post. I have one available if you are still interested and would like to see a picture.

Thanks,
Tori
Michael Black
2013-10-08 11:52:12 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
Did you ever find the poster you were looking for? I was looking to see
how much I should list the one I have, and I found your post. I have
one available if you are still interested and would like to see a
picture.
The original post is from July of 2000. Do you really think he's still
reading this newsgroup? Do you really think he hasn't already found such
a poster, or lost complete interest?

Don't be a google-idiot, don't post replies to old messages, even if
google allows it. And don't compound the problem by not quoting the
message that you are replying to. The only context here is the lack of
context, which then gives it away as another google-idiot replying to an
old message.

Michael
Nick Spalding
2013-10-08 17:08:15 UTC
Michael Black wrote, in
Post by Michael Black
Post by t***@gmail.com
Did you ever find the poster you were looking for? I was looking to see
how much I should list the one I have, and I found your post. I have
one available if you are still interested and would like to see a
picture.
The original post is from July of 2000. Do you really think he's still
reading this newsgroup? Do you really think he hasn't already found such
a poster, or lost complete interest?
Don't be a google-idiot, don't post replies to old messages, even if
google allows it. And don't compound the problem by not quoting the
message that you are replying to. The only context here is the lack of
context, which then gives it away as another google-idiot replying to an
old message.
Personally I found his post more interesting than your whining.
Nick Spalding
Charles Richmond
2013-10-08 18:34:01 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
Did you ever find the poster you were looking for? I was looking to see
how much I should list the one I have, and I found your post. I have one
available if you are still interested and would like to see a picture.
The only Apple Pascal poster I ever heard of... is a poster of the "railroad
diagrams" for the compiler. Is that what you have???

numerist at aquaporin4 dot com
t***@gmail.com
2013-11-10 02:15:01 UTC
Hi Charles,
This is the poster I have. I listed it on eBay a few days ago. I just came across your reply here. If you are interested, let me know and I will end the auction early as I offered it to you here first. Thanks, tori
t***@gmail.com
2013-11-10 02:16:12 UTC
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=121210254767
t***@gmail.com
2013-11-10 02:21:26 UTC
It won't let me link it here, but you can check it out on eBay. Thanks
3***@gmail.com
2013-10-15 00:16:09 UTC
So I know you posted this along time ago, but I have a pascal "syntax" poster that I recently purchased. Just wondering if you ever found one to buy? Do you know how many were made? Well, have a good one!

Casey Lilley
j***@gmail.com
2014-06-09 21:52:36 UTC
For many years, I've been seeking a particular relic from my professional
programming past, I figured maybe someone in this newsgroup might have seen one
or know where to get one (or even an image of one).
Long ago (1980?) I used to have a poster produced by Apple hanging on my office
wall above my workstation. It had the entire scheme of Pascal laid out in
flowcharts, using the flowchart notation from Wirth's Pascal book. It was
incredibly useful, everything you needed to know was all in one place, if you
had the chart you never needed to use any reference books. And it was a
beautiful piece of graphic art too, nicely printed in bright color on a black
background. Alas, I left the company and did not manage to escape with the
poster, they were highly prized since they were so useful.
I would consider paying a relatively insane amount of money to obtain one of
these posters. I expect it to be impossible to obtain, but I figured it couldn't
hurt to ask around.
I have one, Let me know if you still need.
Jon Elson
2014-06-09 22:58:46 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
[...]
Geez, anybody still program in Pascal? I just overhauled one of
my old programs written in Turbo Pascal in 1996 or so, and migrated
it to Linux, using the new "free pascal compiler" which was apparently
designed for this purpose. Works great for porting complex programs,
but I wouldn't create any major new work in Pascal.

Jon
Charles Richmond
2014-06-10 01:24:07 UTC
Post by Jon Elson
Post by j***@gmail.com
[...]
Apparently, the Pascal Syntax poster has some problems:

http://www.pascal-central.com/pascal-syntax.html

These posters on eBay are offered at $200 to $250 US. A bit pricey if you
ask me.

numerist at aquaporin4 dot com
Bob Martin
2014-06-10 06:26:17 UTC
Post by Jon Elson
Post by j***@gmail.com
[...]
I still program in Pascal, have done since Turbo Pascal 3.
I use Free Pascal now, and programs written for the PC (Linux) compile
and run on the Raspberry Pi without change (I have 5 RPis).
Jon Elson
2014-06-10 17:47:11 UTC
Post by Bob Martin
Post by Jon Elson
Geez, anybody still program in Pascal? I just overhauled one of
my old programs written in Turbo Pascal in 1996 or so, and migrated
it to Linux, using the new "free pascal compiler" which was apparently
designed for this purpose. Works great for porting complex programs,
but I wouldn't create any major new work in Pascal.
I still program in Pascal, have done since Turbo Pascal 3.
I use Free Pascal now, and programs written for the PC (Linux) compile
and run on the Raspberry Pi without change (I have 5 RPis).
I converted some programs using the p2c translator, and while it worked,
it generated some pretty UGLY code. That was before 2000. fpc is
quite impressive. The only weak spot might be the interface to gdb,
and maybe they will improve that. I converted a major project with
fpc recently, and was VERY impressed. It would have taken months
to translate to c by hand, it used the set feature of Pascal in a few
places, and I wasn't clear on how to do that in c. I cleaned up a
number of messy spots in the original code while making it compatible
with fpc, and it only took me a couple days to have the program completely
working!

I haven't decided on whether I might actually create anything new using
fpc, but it is at least now possible.

Jon
hda
an IDE too, http://lazarus.freepascal.org/
Peter Flass
2014-06-10 11:33:53 UTC
Post by Jon Elson
Post by j***@gmail.com
[...]
I've seen a few fairly complex new-ish things in Pascal, but not many.
gareth
2014-06-10 13:19:56 UTC
Post by Peter Flass
I've seen a few fairly complex new-ish things in Pascal, but not many.
Delphi has some complex adherents, look up the home automation systems
by Idratek.

As to complexity, Pascal itself introduces that with the Display on the
stack
which gives a very slow and non-optimisable method to access the local
variables of enclosing procedures.

I have always doubted the need to be able to declare one (or more, nested)
procedures inside the declaration of another, but perhaps any need for such
close association has been neutralised by the groupings inherent in object
definitions?
Peter Flass
2014-06-10 15:56:57 UTC
Post by gareth
Post by Peter Flass
I've seen a few fairly complex new-ish things in Pascal, but not many.
Delphi has some complex adherents, look up the home automation systems
by Idratek.
As to complexity, Pascal itself introduces that with the Display on the
stack
which gives a very slow and non-optimisable method to access the local
variables of enclosing procedures.
I have always doubted the need to be able to declare one (or more, nested)
procedures inside the declaration of another, but perhaps any need for such
close association has been neutralised by the groupings inherent in object
definitions?
That's one possibility. A similar grouping was introduced into PL/I with
the "PACKAGE" statement that lets you declare a group of related procedures
and associated static data with control over what's visible outside. A
step up from C where it's all or nothing.
Scott Lurndal
Maybe a simple increment of C provides similar capabilities (C++).
Charles Richmond
2014-06-10 21:19:29 UTC
Post by Peter Flass
Post by gareth
Post by Peter Flass
[...]
Do *not* forget the "static" keyword. Functions and globals declared
"static" have a "file scope". These "static" items are only known by other
functions inside the same file. This gives C sort of a "package" type of
grouping if you need it.

numerist at aquaporin4 dot com
Peter Flass
2014-06-10 22:00:51 UTC
Post by Charles Richmond
Post by Peter Flass
Post by gareth
Post by Peter Flass
[...]
As usual an overloading of a keyword to the point of meaninglessness.
Ahem A Rivet's Shot
2014-06-11 08:11:29 UTC
On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 22:00:51 +0000 (UTC)
Post by Peter Flass
Post by Charles Richmond
Do *not* forget the "static" keyword. Functions and globals declared
"static" have a "file scope". These "static" items are only known by
other functions inside the same file. This gives C sort of a "package"
type of grouping if you need it.
As usual an overloading of a keyword to the point of meaninglessness.
The overloading of static in C is bad enough, but when you get to
Java it has become truly bizarre.
--
Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays
C:>WIN | A better way to focus the sun
You lose and Bill collects. | http://www.sohara.org/
jmfbahciv
2014-06-11 12:51:35 UTC
Post by Peter Flass
Post by Charles Richmond
Do *not* forget the "static" keyword. Functions and globals declared
"static" have a "file scope". These "static" items are only known by
other functions inside the same file. This gives C sort of a "package"
type of grouping if you need it.
As usual an overloading of a keyword to the point of meaninglessness.
The overloading of static in C is bad enough, but when you get to
Java it has become truly bizarre.
Does it become a Faraday cage?

/BAH
Ahem A Rivet's Shot
2014-06-11 13:12:14 UTC
Post by Peter Flass
Post by Charles Richmond
Do *not* forget the "static" keyword. Functions and globals declared
"static" have a "file scope". These "static" items are only known
by other functions inside the same file. This gives C sort of a
"package" type of grouping if you need it.
As usual an overloading of a keyword to the point of meaninglessness.
The overloading of static in C is bad enough, but when you get to
Java it has become truly bizarre.
Does it become a Faraday cage?
It certainly doesn't stand still.
Walter Bushell
2014-06-10 23:05:40 UTC
Post by Charles Richmond
Do *not* forget the "static" keyword. Functions and globals declared
"static" have a "file scope". These "static" items are only known by other
functions inside the same file. This gives C sort of a "package" type of
grouping if you need it.
It's little details like this that make C so much fun.
Never attribute to stupidity that which can be explained by greed. Me.
Rod Speed
That is a 14 year old post, don't recall seeing him any time recently.
j***@gmail.com
I GOT ONE
u***@gmail.com
DIY? - Loading Image...
Osmium
2016-01-31 23:22:40 UTC
Post by u***@gmail.com
[...]
DIY? - http://pascal-central.com/images/pascalposter.jpg
If you got a decent Usenet server you wouldn't be tempted to respond to a
message from 2000 AD.
Michael Black
2016-02-01 03:31:47 UTC
Post by Osmium
Post by u***@gmail.com
[...]
"What do ya mean? A decent Usenet server wouldn't be keeping 15 year old
messages".

One man's feature is another man's bug.

Michael
Rod Speed
He's likely to have resolved the problem in the 15 years since he asked.
Charles Richmond
2016-02-02 06:40:28 UTC
Post by u***@gmail.com
[...]
Supposedly there are problems with this poster. See:

p***@gmail.com
2020-08-11 22:08:04 UTC
I have a poster
Kerr-Mudd,John
2020-08-12 07:18:14 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
I have a poster
That's nice, dear. How about a link to a scan of it; or is this another
driveby post?
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
Iain Holmes
2020-08-13 06:17:16 UTC
Post by Kerr-Mudd,John
Post by p***@gmail.com
I have a poster
That's nice, dear. How about a link to a scan of it; or is this another
driveby post?
Is this what you were looking for ?

https://bytecellar.com/2004/06/15/apples_pascal_s/