Proposing a new newsgroup: Internet History
Jason Evans
2020-07-24 23:36:12 UTC
Hello everyone,

I am thinking about making a formal proposal for one of two new
unmoderated groups. The group would either be comp.internet.history or
soc.history.internet. I think you can see where these two names could
possibly overlap.

The general idea of the new group is to discuss retro internet
technologies such as IRC, ftp sites, BBSs (telnet and otherwise), MUDS,
MOOs, and of course Usenet and others. We could also discuss the culture
that surrounded many of these technologies especially IRC and Usenet as
they were maturing. Many of use don't consider these technologies to be
"retro" because we use them everyday and yet interest in them is waning
and in order for them to continue, fresh interest must be continually be
added.

I don't know if anyone could possibly be interested, but the only way to
find out is to ask. If I get enough positive feedback, I'll write up an
official CFD and submit it to the board. I won't do anything if no one is
interested.

JE

X-posting to: alt.folklore.computers and comp.infosystems.gopher
I get the feeling that the folks in these groups could be interested in
this also.
m***@gmail.com
2020-07-25 21:10:33 UTC
Sounds good. Would need a charter for the newsgroup.

ATM
-
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/net.ai/IJpSNRGEE7w/70BtsqcpRDoJ
https://www.mail-archive.com/***@agi.topicbox.com/msg05611.html