Decomposing IBM
Scott Lurndal
2020-10-08 16:42:14 UTC
IBM to spin out cloud.

https://www.ft.com/content/c3c784d7-2835-48da-b858-d43970f75319
Dan Espen
2020-10-08 18:00:50 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
IBM to spin out cloud.
https://www.ft.com/content/c3c784d7-2835-48da-b858-d43970f75319
Link leads to a "become a subscriber" page, but I already heard the
news. They were just pushing the cloud as their future. Looks like
their only future is new models of their proprietary systems.
Dan Espen
Andy Burns
2020-10-08 18:59:43 UTC
Post by Dan Espen
Post by Scott Lurndal
https://www.ft.com/content/c3c784d7-2835-48da-b858-d43970f75319
Link leads to a "become a subscriber" page,
If you google search for that exact URL, then follow the first result
it'll subvert the FT paywall
Ahem A Rivet's Shot
2020-10-08 19:02:57 UTC
On Thu, 08 Oct 2020 14:00:50 -0400
Post by Dan Espen
Post by Scott Lurndal
IBM to spin out cloud.
https://www.ft.com/content/c3c784d7-2835-48da-b858-d43970f75319
Link leads to a "become a subscriber" page, but I already heard the
news. They were just pushing the cloud as their future. Looks like
their only future is new models of their proprietary systems.
Their future is the same as their past, one of the world's very
best (and most expensive) full service IT solution providers.
--
Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays
C:\>WIN | A better way to focus the sun
You lose and Bill collects. | http://www.sohara.org/
John Levine
2020-10-08 22:28:07 UTC
Post by Dan Espen
Post by Scott Lurndal
IBM to spin out cloud.
https://www.ft.com/content/c3c784d7-2835-48da-b858-d43970f75319
Link leads to a "become a subscriber" page
It's expensive but worth it. In the meantime, here's the press release:

https://newsroom.ibm.com/2020-10-08-IBM-To-Accelerate-Hybrid-Cloud-Growth-Strategy-And-Execute-Spin-Off-Of-Market-Leading-Managed-Infrastructure-Services-Unit
--
Regards,
John Levine, ***@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
2020-10-09 23:24:21 UTC
Post by Dan Espen
Post by Scott Lurndal
IBM to spin out cloud.
https://www.ft.com/content/c3c784d7-2835-48da-b858-d43970f75319
Link leads to a "become a subscriber" page, but I already heard the
news. They were just pushing the cloud as their future. Looks like
their only future is new models of their proprietary systems.
What they’re splitting off is the “facilities management” portion of their
business (whatever the actual name is) and keeping both cloud and hardware.
As I read it this “facilities management” is the type,of business that EDS
used to be in.
Dan Espen
2020-10-10 00:21:39 UTC
Post by Peter Flass
Post by Dan Espen
Post by Scott Lurndal
IBM to spin out cloud.
https://www.ft.com/content/c3c784d7-2835-48da-b858-d43970f75319
Link leads to a "become a subscriber" page, but I already heard the
news. They were just pushing the cloud as their future. Looks like
their only future is new models of their proprietary systems.
What they’re splitting off is the “facilities management” portion of their
business (whatever the actual name is) and keeping both cloud and hardware.
As I read it this “facilities management” is the type,of business that EDS
used to be in.
The last place I worked they "facility mangaged" almost all their
computing, including the PCs, windows and Unix servers. They never
could get a replacement for their mainframe staff.
Dan Espen
J. Clarke
2020-10-10 02:29:16 UTC
Post by Dan Espen
Post by Peter Flass
Post by Dan Espen
Post by Scott Lurndal
IBM to spin out cloud.
https://www.ft.com/content/c3c784d7-2835-48da-b858-d43970f75319
Link leads to a "become a subscriber" page, but I already heard the
news. They were just pushing the cloud as their future. Looks like
their only future is new models of their proprietary systems.
What they’re splitting off is the “facilities management” portion of their
business (whatever the actual name is) and keeping both cloud and hardware.
As I read it this “facilities management” is the type,of business that EDS
used to be in.
The last place I worked they "facility mangaged" almost all their
computing, including the PCs, windows and Unix servers. They never
could get a replacement for their mainframe staff.
We outsourced most of the mainframe staff a few years back--everybody
got transferred to the company to which it was outsourced, the ones
who had anything going for them immediately found real jobs somewhere
else. Now they're trying to move it all to India. Leaves me
wondering what some guy in India is going to do when the magic smoke
starts coming out of something.
Joe Pfeiffer
2020-10-08 19:13:54 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
IBM to spin out cloud.
https://www.ft.com/content/c3c784d7-2835-48da-b858-d43970f75319
Paywall. I had read elsewhere that the cloud is what they're keeping;
it's the IT/infrastructure part they're spinning out.
Dan Espen
2020-10-08 20:31:03 UTC
Post by Joe Pfeiffer
Post by Scott Lurndal
IBM to spin out cloud.
https://www.ft.com/content/c3c784d7-2835-48da-b858-d43970f75319
Paywall. I had read elsewhere that the cloud is what they're keeping;
it's the IT/infrastructure part they're spinning out.
Over on IBM-MAIN they're characterizing it as a company split.

IBM will be around a long time servicing their legacy customers.
Even though the door is always open to their sales force,
they can't seem to design and market hardware any more.
No printers, no disk, no PCs.
Dan Espen
Dan Espen
2020-10-08 20:39:29 UTC
Post by Dan Espen
Post by Joe Pfeiffer
Post by Scott Lurndal
IBM to spin out cloud.
https://www.ft.com/content/c3c784d7-2835-48da-b858-d43970f75319
Paywall. I had read elsewhere that the cloud is what they're keeping;
it's the IT/infrastructure part they're spinning out.
Over on IBM-MAIN they're characterizing it as a company split.
IBM will be around a long time servicing their legacy customers.
Even though the door is always open to their sales force,
they can't seem to design and market hardware any more.
No printers, no disk, no PCs.
Here is the announcement from IBM:

https://www.ibm.com/investor/att/pdf/IBM-Strategic-Update-2020-Press-Release.pdf

The company will split into:

IBM, a Leading Hybrid Cloud and AI Company

NewCo, the Leading Managed Infrastructure Services Company

Hard to tell which of those companies will make computers.
Dan Espen
Thomas Koenig
2020-10-09 15:31:01 UTC
Post by Dan Espen
IBM, a Leading Hybrid Cloud and AI Company
NewCo, the Leading Managed Infrastructure Services Company
NewCo.

That reminds me of a company split I took part in, quite a few years
ago, in the chemical industry. Searching for "NewCo" at the time
led to company pages of a company which scrapped industrial plants.

Not the best image to convey.
Scott Lurndal
2020-10-09 16:19:50 UTC
Post by Thomas Koenig
Post by Dan Espen
IBM, a Leading Hybrid Cloud and AI Company
NewCo, the Leading Managed Infrastructure Services Company
NewCo.
That reminds me of a company split I took part in, quite a few years
ago, in the chemical industry. Searching for "NewCo" at the time
led to company pages of a company which scrapped industrial plants.
Not the best image to convey.
NewCo is a pretty common name used when companies spin out
part of the business.
Thomas Koenig
2020-10-09 18:52:26 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Thomas Koenig
Post by Dan Espen
IBM, a Leading Hybrid Cloud and AI Company
NewCo, the Leading Managed Infrastructure Services Company
NewCo.
That reminds me of a company split I took part in, quite a few years
ago, in the chemical industry. Searching for "NewCo" at the time
led to company pages of a company which scrapped industrial plants.
Not the best image to convey.
NewCo is a pretty common name used when companies spin out
part of the business.
I know. At the time, it just fit in a way that probably wasn't
intended - you can imagine what people felt when they looked that
up and happened to work in the business units that were spun off.
Schmitty
2020-10-15 15:35:04 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Thomas Koenig
Post by Dan Espen
IBM, a Leading Hybrid Cloud and AI Company
NewCo, the Leading Managed Infrastructure Services Company
NewCo.
That reminds me of a company split I took part in, quite a few years
ago, in the chemical industry. Searching for "NewCo" at the time
led to company pages of a company which scrapped industrial plants.
Not the best image to convey.
NewCo is a pretty common name used when companies spin out
part of the business.
In
https://www.ibm.com/investor/att/pdf/IBM-Strategic-Update-2020-Press-Release.pdf
they say: "The new company (to be named at a subsequent date) will ..."
Peter Flass
2020-10-09 23:32:30 UTC
Post by Thomas Koenig
Post by Dan Espen
IBM, a Leading Hybrid Cloud and AI Company
NewCo, the Leading Managed Infrastructure Services Company
NewCo.
That reminds me of a company split I took part in, quite a few years
ago, in the chemical industry. Searching for "NewCo" at the time
led to company pages of a company which scrapped industrial plants.
I think Enron used this for a while as the name of the reorganized company
to sell off all their assets after bankruptcy. Seems to be common usage.
Post by Thomas Koenig
Not the best image to convey.
JimP
2020-10-09 15:39:48 UTC
Post by Dan Espen
Post by Dan Espen
Post by Joe Pfeiffer
Post by Scott Lurndal
IBM to spin out cloud.
https://www.ft.com/content/c3c784d7-2835-48da-b858-d43970f75319
Paywall. I had read elsewhere that the cloud is what they're keeping;
it's the IT/infrastructure part they're spinning out.
Over on IBM-MAIN they're characterizing it as a company split.
IBM will be around a long time servicing their legacy customers.
Even though the door is always open to their sales force,
they can't seem to design and market hardware any more.
No printers, no disk, no PCs.
https://www.ibm.com/investor/att/pdf/IBM-Strategic-Update-2020-Press-Release.pdf
IBM, a Leading Hybrid Cloud and AI Company
NewCo, the Leading Managed Infrastructure Services Company
Hard to tell which of those companies will make computers.
It's like thyose commercials where they show a bunch of images, or
video, and in the last 2 seconds you might find out what product they
are selling.
Jim
Andreas Kohlbach
2020-10-08 23:39:49 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
IBM to spin out cloud.
Does this mean I can o longer buy a IBM PS/2 or whatever came after it? ;-)
--
Andreas

PGP fingerprint 952B0A9F12C2FD6C9F7E68DAA9C2EA89D1A370E0