HPE sets end date for hobbyist licenses for OpenVMS
Add Reply
Harris Newman
2020-04-08 15:54:57 UTC
https://legacyos.org/hpe-sets-end-date-for-hobbyist-licenses-for-openvms/
Joe Pfeiffer
2020-04-08 16:16:19 UTC
Post by Harris Newman
https://legacyos.org/hpe-sets-end-date-for-hobbyist-licenses-for-openvms/
"With the change in ownership of OpenVMS — HP Enterprise turned over
the business to VMS Software Inc. — the hobbyist program is ending
at HPE. VSI is considering one option to continue hobbyist-class
licenses."

There are actually enough VMS users left that somebody thinks supporting
them is a viable business? Wow. I never would have guessed.

https://vmssoftware.com/
Grant Taylor
2020-06-20 20:01:16 UTC
Post by Joe Pfeiffer
There are actually enough VMS users left that somebody thinks
supporting them is a viable business? Wow. I never would have
guessed.
It's considerably more than just supporting an existing install base.

VSI is actively developing OpenVMS. They are even very actively porting
OpenVMS 9 to x86-64 machines. They had their first full boot a single
digit number of weeks ago. They are now starting to release things to
specific trusted testers.

Their actively supporting running OpenVMS in VM before physical
machines. VMware and VirtualBox being two of their main target hypervisors.
--
Grant. . . .
unix || die