IBM Song book
Alfred Falk
2020-06-24 21:22:55 UTC
Cleaning up my basement, I came up a copy of the "IBM Song book".
This was handed out, almost 50 years ago, for our entertainment and
edification in a graduate school Comp Sci class. The prof had once worked
at IBM where came upon this little item, and took a copy and subsequently
made copies for his students.
Another student, with some experience in IBM shops said "Oh! this isn't
real. It doesn't have a form number."
"Oh yeah? Look at the last page."
30-8798-0-8-32-12-53-P

In addition to a few familiar songs, it has
March on with IBM by Tappe and Giannini
IBM school song
Ever Onward! (IBM rally song)
Hail to the IBM by Tappe and Giannini
Dallas
2020-06-24 22:15:20 UTC
Post by Alfred Falk
Cleaning up my basement, I came up a copy of the "IBM Song book".
This was handed out, almost 50 years ago, for our entertainment and
edification in a graduate school Comp Sci class. The prof had once worked
at IBM where came upon this little item, and took a copy and subsequently
made copies for his students.
Another student, with some experience in IBM shops said "Oh! this isn't
real. It doesn't have a form number."
"Oh yeah? Look at the last page."
30-8798-0-8-32-12-53-P
In addition to a few familiar songs, it has
March on with IBM by Tappe and Giannini
IBM school song
Ever Onward! (IBM rally song)
Hail to the IBM by Tappe and Giannini
Lots of history of that book is online
https://www.google.com/search?q=IBM+song+book+songbook

http://www.users.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/ibmsongbook.html

also

https://www.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/music/pdf/SB1.pdf
Alfred Falk
2020-06-26 16:27:05 UTC
Post by Dallas
Post by Alfred Falk
[...]
Interesting. Thanks for those links.
The one I have a poor quality photocopy of is shown at
https://www.hcamag.com/us/news/general/lighter-side-ibms-corporate-
songbook-revealed/156213
The lengthy footnote on the left side references Watson's business trip to
Germany in 1938, so this edition is later that. It is just 12 pages. The
earlier editions were longer.
Quadibloc
2020-06-29 00:06:25 UTC
Post by Dallas
Post by Alfred Falk
[...]
This thread piqued my curiosity, so I looked around for more information.

One of the things I found was where T. J. Watson Jr. noted that he abolished
this type of singing as out of date, and also that it had gone out of hand - his
father, in 1936, had comissioned a symphony in honor of IBM.

Well, I couldn't resist hunting it up...

Also, I found more information online:

https://www.therestisnoise.com/2015/08/oddity-vittorio-gianninis-ibm-symphony.html

Apparently, what it was comissioned _for_ was the opening, in 1938, of the IBM
World Trade headquarters.

John Savard