Discovering Dennis Ritchie’s Lost Dissertation
Add Reply
m***@gmail.com
2020-06-21 15:13:44 UTC
C-inventor Dennis Ritchie (1941-09-09 - 2011-10-12) was a frequent poster here in the alt.folklore.computers newsgroup prior to his passing away at the age of seventy.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=23582070 -- Hacker News -- is a discussion of the recent finding by DMR's sister of an unbound copy of DMR's doctoral dissertation in the possession of the widow of DMR's former advisor.

https://computerhistory.org/blog/discovering-dennis-ritchies-lost-dissertation -- is a 2020-06-19 article by David C. Brock explaining that our fellow a.f.c poster DMR could not receive his Ph.D. from Harvard University if DMR did not pay a hefty fee to have his dissertation bound and submitted to the Harvard library. So DMR never received his dissertation.
Peter Flass
2020-06-21 21:30:12 UTC
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id#582070 -- Hacker News -- is a
discussion of the recent finding by DMR's sister of an unbound copy of
DMR's doctoral dissertation in the possession of the widow of DMR's former advisor.
https://computerhistory.org/blog/discovering-dennis-ritchies-lost-dissertation -- is a
2020-06-19 article by David C. Brock explaining that our fellow a.f.c
poster DMR could not receive his Ph.D. from Harvard University if DMR did
not pay a hefty fee to have his dissertation bound and submitted to the
Harvard library. So DMR never received his dissertation.
Interesting story. Stories like this also give me hope that other lost
treasures may yet be found. I miss having Dennis here.