Old, bigoted and inflexible?
Gareth Evans
2020-04-11 09:36:15 UTC
In any computer there are a myriad ways of implementing
an OS and a myriad of languages available to
implement them. There are a myriad of ways to
use computers and myriad ways to store data.

All human life is there.

I get the impression that a number, a myriad even,
of contributors to this NG have a blinkered outlook
and can see no reason for doing anything with
computers other than in the ways of Unix / Linux
and C.
Jorgen Grahn
2020-04-11 09:52:09 UTC
Post by Gareth Evans
In any computer there are a myriad ways of implementing
an OS and a myriad of languages available to
implement them. There are a myriad of ways to
use computers and myriad ways to store data.
All human life is there.
I get the impression that a number, a myriad even,
of contributors to this NG have a blinkered outlook
and can see no reason for doing anything with
computers other than in the ways of Unix / Linux
and C.
If you're not simply looking for a fight, if you actually want to
learn what people think, maybe you can formulate this differently?

I'm a bit fed up with the recent (covid-19-induced?) petty arguments
in this group and others (notably comp.lang.c).

/Jorgen
--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
Bob Eager
2020-04-11 11:49:53 UTC
In any computer there are a myriad ways of implementing an OS and a
myriad of languages available to implement them. There are a myriad of
ways to use computers and myriad ways to store data.
All human life is there.
I get the impression that a number, a myriad even,
of contributors to this NG have a blinkered outlook and can see no
reason for doing anything with computers other than in the ways of Unix
/ Linux and C.
If you're not simply looking for a fight, if you actually want to learn
what people think, maybe you can formulate this differently?
I'm a bit fed up with the recent (covid-19-induced?) petty arguments in
this group and others (notably comp.lang.c).
/Jorgen
Gareth is notorious for parading his 'knowledge' of assembler programming.
--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
Gareth Evans
2020-04-11 13:48:44 UTC
Post by Bob Eager
Gareth is notorious for parading his 'knowledge' of assembler programming.
What did I do to upset you that you originate many
gratuitous unpleasantries in my direction and yet
cowardly KFing me so that you would not see my response?
JimP
2020-04-11 18:03:36 UTC
Post by Jorgen Grahn
Post by Gareth Evans
In any computer there are a myriad ways of implementing
an OS and a myriad of languages available to
implement them. There are a myriad of ways to
use computers and myriad ways to store data.
All human life is there.
I get the impression that a number, a myriad even,
of contributors to this NG have a blinkered outlook
and can see no reason for doing anything with
computers other than in the ways of Unix / Linux
and C.
If you're not simply looking for a fight, if you actually want to
learn what people think, maybe you can formulate this differently?
I'm a bit fed up with the recent (covid-19-induced?) petty arguments
in this group and others (notably comp.lang.c).
/Jorgen
Many here do seem to not be handling self-isolation well.
Jim
Andreas Kohlbach
2020-04-12 18:43:15 UTC
Post by JimP
Many here do seem to not be handling self-isolation well.
Same here. Some morons sit on the stairs on the stairway,
chatting. Another dude didn't care when I walked back up to my apartment
and just went down the stairway, passing me.

But I also had some positive experience. Coming back from shopping a
couple walked on the same sidewalk. Before they passed I went a few
meters onto the sidewalk of an intersection to avoid them. After they
went by they gave me a thumbs-up, which I returned.
--
Andreas

PGP fingerprint 952B0A9F12C2FD6C9F7E68DAA9C2EA89D1A370E0
JimP
2020-04-12 23:34:44 UTC
On Sun, 12 Apr 2020 14:43:15 -0400, Andreas Kohlbach
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
Post by JimP
Many here do seem to not be handling self-isolation well.
Same here. Some morons sit on the stairs on the stairway,
chatting. Another dude didn't care when I walked back up to my apartment
and just went down the stairway, passing me.
But I also had some positive experience. Coming back from shopping a
couple walked on the same sidewalk. Before they passed I went a few
meters onto the sidewalk of an intersection to avoid them. After they
went by they gave me a thumbs-up, which I returned.
I was more refering to this group. But I have seen more social
distancing in the few stores I still go to.
Jim
Dan Espen
2020-04-11 12:28:54 UTC
Post by Gareth Evans
In any computer there are a myriad ways of implementing
an OS and a myriad of languages available to
implement them. There are a myriad of ways to
use computers and myriad ways to store data.
All human life is there.
I get the impression that a number, a myriad even,
of contributors to this NG have a blinkered outlook
and can see no reason for doing anything with
computers other than in the ways of Unix / Linux
and C.
So, we're old, bigoted, and inflexible.
I'm old, but not those other 2 things and only the worst kind of
low-life would associate those things.

You really are a nasty piece of work.
Dan Espen
J. Clarke
Don't feed the troll.
Gareth Evans
2020-04-11 13:51:41 UTC
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Dan Espen
Post by Gareth Evans
In any computer there are a myriad ways of implementing
an OS and a myriad of languages available to
implement them. There are a myriad of ways to
use computers and myriad ways to store data.
All human life is there.
I get the impression that a number, a myriad even,
of contributors to this NG have a blinkered outlook
and can see no reason for doing anything with
computers other than in the ways of Unix / Linux
and C.
So, we're old, bigoted, and inflexible.
I'm old, but not those other 2 things and only the worst kind of
low-life would associate those things.
You really are a nasty piece of work.
Don't feed the troll.
Dan Espen is a troll? Possibly.

Anyone who disagrees with you is a troll? A bit inflexible of you, OM.
Gareth Evans
2020-04-11 13:50:09 UTC
Post by Dan Espen
You really are a nasty piece of work.
Then you don't know me and are knee-jerking in an
infantile manner.
Dan Espen
2020-04-11 15:45:21 UTC
Post by Gareth Evans
Post by Dan Espen
You really are a nasty piece of work.
Then you don't know me and are knee-jerking in an
infantile manner.
I tried to give you a fair chance, but now I must preserve
my own peace of mind.
Dan Espen
Thomas Koenig
2020-04-14 11:32:28 UTC
Post by Gareth Evans
I get the impression that a number, a myriad even,
of contributors to this NG have a blinkered outlook
and can see no reason for doing anything with
computers other than in the ways of Unix / Linux
and C.
Hey, I grew up on MVS, and I write Fortran because it has
multi-dimensional arrays without having to use the "pointer forest"
misfeature, other than C.

Of course, I use modern versions of Fortran.
Bob Eager
2020-04-14 11:38:25 UTC
Post by Thomas Koenig
I get the impression that a number, a myriad even, of contributors to
this NG have a blinkered outlook and can see no reason for doing
anything with computers other than in the ways of Unix / Linux and C.
Hey, I grew up on MVS, and I write Fortran because it has
multi-dimensional arrays without having to use the "pointer forest"
misfeature, other than C.
Of course, I use modern versions of Fortran.
Interesting to hear.

I am always being asked about what I've used, and although it's a work in
progress, my early years are covered pretty well:

http://www.bobeager.uk/ihaveused.html