Food for thought?
gareth evans
2020-09-09 13:54:45 UTC
My first home PC, in 1987, was an Amstrad 1512 with
two 5" floppy disks.

The second home PC, 1992, was a Viglen with a 40MB HD.

40MB ? ? ?

... I just decided to delete the history from
Microsoft Edge and was warned that there were
327 MB of data associated!
Thomas Koenig
2020-09-09 14:45:13 UTC
Post by gareth evans
My first home PC, in 1987, was an Amstrad 1512 with
two 5" floppy disks.
The second home PC, 1992, was a Viglen with a 40MB HD.
40MB ? ? ?
... I just decided to delete the history from
Microsoft Edge and was warned that there were
327 MB of data associated!
Bloat, bloat and even more bloat.

Systems aren't going to get that much faster anymore.
Maybe people will actually learn again how to make good use of
computer resources (one can hope...)
Charlie Gibbs
2020-09-09 17:20:50 UTC
Post by Thomas Koenig
Post by gareth evans
My first home PC, in 1987, was an Amstrad 1512 with
two 5" floppy disks.
The second home PC, 1992, was a Viglen with a 40MB HD.
40MB ? ? ?
... I just decided to delete the history from
Microsoft Edge and was warned that there were
327 MB of data associated!
Bloat, bloat and even more bloat.
It's a variation of Parkinson's Law: programs grow to
fill up all available disk space, memory, and CPU cycles.
Post by Thomas Koenig
Systems aren't going to get that much faster anymore.
Maybe people will actually learn again how to make good use of
computer resources (one can hope...)
More likely, marketroids will convince them to put up with
ever-decreasing capability, since only that which lets the
companies control them will have priority. But the screens
will get prettier and prettier, so everything will be OK.

"The chocolate ration will be increased from seven grams to five."
--
/~\ Charlie Gibbs | Microsoft is a dictatorship.
\ / <***@kltpzyxm.invalid> | Apple is a cult.
/ \ if you read it the right way. | Pick your poison.
Bob Eager
2020-09-09 21:21:22 UTC
Post by Thomas Koenig
My first home PC, in 1987, was an Amstrad 1512 with two 5" floppy
disks.
The second home PC, 1992, was a Viglen with a 40MB HD.
40MB ? ? ?
... I just decided to delete the history from Microsoft Edge and was
warned that there were 327 MB of data associated!
Bloat, bloat and even more bloat.
It's a variation of Parkinson's Law: programs grow to fill up all
available disk space, memory, and CPU cycles.
I think Gareth hasn't learned about caches...
--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
gareth evans
Again, I query the motivation behind the way in which you respond?
Chris
2020-09-10 16:54:50 UTC
Post by gareth evans
Post by Bob Eager
Post by Thomas Koenig
My first home PC, in 1987, was an Amstrad 1512 with two 5" floppy
disks.
The second home PC, 1992, was a Viglen with a 40MB HD.
40MB ? ? ?
... I just decided to delete the history from Microsoft Edge and was
warned that there were 327 MB of data associated!
Bloat, bloat and even more bloat.
It's a variation of Parkinson's Law: programs grow to fill up all
available disk space, memory, and CPU cycles.
I think Gareth hasn't learned about caches...
Again, I query the motivation behind the way in which you respond?
Whatever, but has spent some time recently restoring a couple
of Sparcstation 2 machines in the collection. Put in a 36Gb
2.5" scsi drive, modified bracket, put s socket on the idprom
and fitted a bigger battery, cleaned & relubed the fans, same
with the psu and Solaris 2.6, installed everything. Terminal
into the serial port, but does support graphcal install as
well.

The reason for this story ?. With just 20Mb (Yes megabytes)
of ram, is quite happy running cde or Sunos and draws just
35 watts from the line. Of course a bit slow, but a nearly
30 year old machine and could still do some serious work on
it.

Just how far have we come in 30 years ?, sometimes wonder...

Chris